This article is part of our Exploiting the Matchups series.
I know there's someone out there who started Mike Evans, D.J. Chark Jr., Calvin Ridley and Jared Cook last week, somehow surviving an onslaught of injuries but now staring at the likelihood of elimination with a shell of a lineup left behind. Week 14 was brutal from a medical standpoint, which means the upcoming slate will be full of tough decisions for many fantasy managers.
My best advice is to not stay married to any one lineup, instead re-evaluating throughout the week as more and more information becomes available. The toughest decisions may need to wait until Sunday, as there's a good chance we see a slew of key fantasy contributors listed as questionable on the Friday injury report. The Week 15 viability of DeAndre Washington, Allen Hurns and Isaiah Ford, among others, may be tough to decipher before inactive lists come out Sunday morning.
Before we get into specific players to upgrade or downgrade for Week 14, here are some of my favorite tools for analyzing matchups:
- Jeff Erickson's value meter
- RotoWire's weekly projections
- RotoWire's weekly composite rankings
- Betting odds
- RotoWire's pages for advanced stats and TE route data.
- Pace stats and DVOA from Football Outsiders
- Next Gen Stats from NFL.com
- Player Grades and Premium Stats from Pro Football Focus
- Personnel Grouping Frequencies and Run:Pass Ratios from SharpFootballStats.com
- Opponent and teammate injuries
- Target share
- Snap counts
- Defense vs. Position stats
Note: Discussion below mostly is limited to players that are being started in